ten day fast

In the most recent general conference for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, prophet and president of the church Russell M. Nelson invited all women to participate in his four invitations. He said that by fully diving into these invitations, the spirit would more abundantly be in your life and that you would be able to grow a true relationship with our Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ. The four invitations were:

1. Take a ten day social media fast or from any type of media that brings negative and impure thoughts to your mind.

2. Read the Book of Mormon completely over between the time he gave the invitation and the end of the year.

3. Establish a pattern of regular temple attendance.

4. Participate fully in Relief Society, study the Relief Society's purpose and develop a testimony of using that purpose in your daily life.

As I tried my best to participate in not only the ten day fast, but to also implement these other three invitations in my life, I felt completely the reasoning President Nelson extended it to us. In the short ten days, I found myself not knowing how people were because I could see it. I found myself searching for ways to keep myself busy. I found myself re-reading the talks given at conference. I found myself cleaning everything, all the time. But I also found myself becoming creative to my what then seemed to be "boring" life, and found ways to make things "not boring".

I actually used my contacts app to find people's numbers and actually called them or texted them. Mind you I only ever use like 6 or 7 people's contacts on a regular basis. By just scrolling through my friend's contacts, I felt the Spirit prompt me to reach out to different people. I even felt prompted to go do in person visits instead of just over the phone texting or calling. I felt like a true minister.

I also tried my best to read the Book of Mormon every day, not just on verse here and there, but I tried to stick to schedule of reading with the intent of finishing by the end of December. Now that, was POWERFUL. I started to understand the people, their trials and what it means for me as a millennial to be reading it in these latter days.

I've "read" the Book of Mormon all the way through only once before. It was for my religion classes, the 1st half one semester, and the 2nd half the second semester. But I didn't read EVERY word. I read assignments that for the most part gave a general idea of what a few chapters summarized were about. This time, I've read EVERY word, and it has been AMAZING.

I remember walking into my bedroom late one night because I wanted to stay on track and I woke Jaden up. I was crying and he was instantly confused and alert. He asked what was wrong, and I burst out, "The Book of Mormon REALLY IS another testament of Jesus Christ. He came to these people and he LOVES them!" Jaden just grabbed me, kissed my forehead, and hugged me and said, "Yes, yes it is."

I cried myself to sleep that night in complete awe and joy. 

Now, establishing a regular temple attendance has been a little bit more challenging. I know Elder Holland has given countless talks about life being too short and saying that you don't have enough time for things you're just cheating yourself out from experiencing more. But honestly, this semester is really hard for me. And lately I've been able to go to a session maybe once a month.

I felt like I could go more than just once if I really tried. So I did. And I also fell a little bit behind in one of my classes, but the attendance was very much needed for me. I truly enjoyed the time I was able to spend in the temple. Hopefully I can keep up with going at least twice a month from here on out.

Trying to keep up with all of these four invitations along with do school has been exciting, challenging and growing. I've really seen a difference in the Spirit residing in my life. I really feel like President Nelson knew that before he extended that to us. That by really diving into these invitations and making them a priority in our lives, we would see strength.

I haven't been the best at all four, but I've given my best. I think that's all that he wanted us to see in ourselves. That these invitations are hard, but when we did our best, we would still see something great come of it. None of this was for bringing us down, or making us feel inadequate, even though at times it may have seemed like it. It was all for our growth.

I understand more clearly his meaning of, "I'm extending a prophetic plea to you, the women of the Church, to shape the future by helping to gather scattered Israel."

In the past ten days, I've become stronger in my testimony of the gospel and Church of Jesus Christ. I've become more aware of those around me who are struggling and ministering unto them. I've allowed my own self to be ministered to, and I've seen the Spirit of the Lord reside in our home effortlessly. My own actions to living out these invitations have not just shaped my own life, but have even influenced my husband's.

I feel like I can help the prophet, Heavenly Father, and Jesus Christ gather Israel because I have officially gathered my own home and self from straying away into the natural man's world.

If you haven't had the chance to try these four invitations out, know it's never too late to try. And if you need a helping hand to encourage you through it and do it with you, let me know. I'd be more than happy to hep you too gain the same testimony that I have.

Comments