to take or not to take

After what seems like HOURS of YouTube videos, honest and thoughtful responses from friends via social media, and talking with my mom, I think I have complied my official list of things to pack in my hospital bag.

This has honestly been something that I have overly stressed out about. Why? No idea, but I feel at peace knowing that my list is FINALLY done and my bag is packed.

There are so many lists on Pinterest about what to bring and what not to bring and they are all SO long! I refused to believe that you needed so much. Maybe that's where my stress stemmed from?

Oh well! I have figured out what "I THINK" will work best for me.

Not only will I share what I am bringing myself to the birthing center, but I will share the most common responses of YES bring this, and NOPE leave it at home responses that I have received. I hope that this can help other future mamas-to-be get ready for such a life-changing event.

I'll list the responses by the most common response to the least common for each category. So to get started, we will be looking at the YES bring this list!

YES bring this:
- pillow
- blanket
- car seat
- slippers or fuzzy socks
- a robe
- breast pump/nipple cream/nursing pads
- toiletries (travel size shampoo, conditioner,  and body soap, toothbrush, etc.)
- phone charger


NOPE leave it at home:
- multiple changes of clothes
- lots of cute baby clothes
- reading materials (useless)
- make-up bag (I was surprised by this one!)
- multiple swaddles for baby
- diapers for baby

There was so much detail that went into these responses from over two dozen lady friends that responded to my social media poll. It was so interesting to see just how different each person's response was, and yet how similar they all were to one another.

After taking in their responses, reading a lot of blog posts online and watching YouTube videos I had learned SO MUCH! But regardless, I still had to narrow things down and figure out what the most practical things I needed in MY hospital bag.

That's when I finally had a mini epiphany. Regardless of whoever said what, ultimately I had to make the decision of what was going to work best for me. I had to look at what was going to work with who I was as a person and what was going to work with my baggage space.

After a lot of thinking, praying (silly I know), and packing and unpacking to repack, I finally felt like I had created the best list for me and that I had packed the best bag for me and my labor and delivery process.

So, without further ado, here is my list! (in no particular order of relevance)

My hospital bag list:
- slippers and robe
- breast pump, nipple cream, nursing pads, nursing bra
- nursing nightgown
- nursing friendly t-shirt and stretchy joggers (to wear home)
- toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, toothbrush, body soap)
- my professional camera bag with my Nikon camera, 2 lenses, and a polaroid camera

Mini Bag for baby E:
- swaddle, beanie, name tag
- sleeper (his going home "outfit")
- letter board (90% done, just w/o stats)

Things to grab on the way out the door:
- blanket
- phone charger
- Boppy
- car seat

I feel so good knowing that the bags are now packed and that I feel good about my list! I hope you can take away that regardless of how many things work for so many other people, to do what you feel is best for you!

Comments